RE: (erielack) September Calendar Pix

> I have some comments to add about the picture.  Did EL repair
> the units themselves or send them back to EMD?  The damage
> didn't appear to be extensive but the unit in the forground
> must have had a smashed in cab on the engineer's side.  So
> I'm wondering if Scranton, Hornell, or Marion repaired it.

Usually if the damage wasn't horrific, Hornell repaired it. The wrecked
SDP45s from the Windham, OH wreck were rebuilt by the EL (with parts
supplied by EMD.

Hornell did really good work - GP7 1233 was very badly damaged in the Lake
Jct. wreck but reappeared a few months later, good as new.

> When the EL had derailments on the Erie the frieghts usually
> wound up running over the Lackawanna down the Boonton Line.
> I'm wondering if they employed the L&HR to get to Maybrook?
> It was probably not an easy matter for a train on the Boonton
> Line to enter Croxton.  Any thoughts on that?

Why would you say that? The "Old Loop" track was always in place at Croxton
from Erie days, allowing freights to enter. The EL added the "New Loop"
track to access the piggyback side, but that wasn't needed for freights to
enter.

I also can't imagine the EL detouring over the L&HR to get to Maybrook, but
hey, the L&HR detoured over the EL if their line had problems, so why not?
:)