RE: (erielack) Suburban Propane/Richfield Springs

The 33,000 gal tank car came on the scene no later than 1968, perhaps
earlier. This was the "pregnant whale" design where the circumference was
smaller at the ends. These were big cars, 65' and 100 ton capacity, and the
lading was pressurized. As well as LPG, they carried anhydrous ammonia. Most
likely they served the facility in Richfield Springs by the late 60's. 100
ton cars were commonplace by that time and travelled on some pretty marginal
track. The only issue would be if the route included a restricted bridge.
The other factor is economic: the cost and therefore rate advantage was such
that if the facility were located on a line with such a weight restriction,
it would relocate to another line rather than use smaller cars.

Paul B

I just finished reading "Railroad Days" written by Louis C. Langone. It has
many old accounts of life and happenings on the DLW/EL Utica Branch. One of
the many interesting things mentioned in the book is a Suburban Gas (
Suburban Propane precursor? ) facility located in Richfield Springs, NY. The
author mentions cars of propane being spotted there. I'm wondering if anyone
could identify the type and size of the tank cars spotted there. A link to a
photo would be an incredible bonus, even if not an actual Suburban car. It
would still give me the proper impression of the size and type of car
spotted there. I do have a couple of N scale 33,000 gallon propane cars, but
wonder if these are much larger than the cars that would have been spotted
at the location in question. Lighter rail on the branch, tighter curves,
etc. all may come into play. Thanks for any help in this matter. I enjoyed
the book immensely!

Todd K. Stearns