Re:(erielack) LV

Again, in 1957, they didn't.  The Maple leaf was an overnight train, leaving after evening meal time and arriving at (eastbound) or well before (westbound) breakfast time.  They ran a cafe-lounge between New York and Lehighton.

In fact, in 1957, at least, LV ran no diners at all, just cafe-lounge cars between Buffalo and New York on the Black Diamond and Lehighton and New York on most of the other trains.

As for sleeper types, the 1957 Guide shows cars with roomettes and bedrooms, New York/Toronto (Probably a 10-6 lightweight); berths, roomettes and double bedrooms, Philadelphia/Toronto (probably a 6-6-4 lightweight) (both CN cars); and berths and double bedrooms, New York/Buffalo (probably 8 sec-5DBR heavyweight; operated by Pullman).

Randy Brown

At 05:33 10-09-2007, you wrote:
>Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 22:21:59 -0400
>From: "Paul Brezicki" <doctorpb_@_bellsouth.net>
>Subject: Re:(erielack) OT: LV
>
>LV used sleepers on the Maple Leaf, an overnight train between NY and
>Toronto operated jointly with CNR. However I can't tell you the
>configuration. The Black Diamond was discontinued in May, 1959, while the
>Maple Leaf (and the NY-Lehighton John Wilkes)continued until February, 1961.
>
>Paul B
>
>As of 1957, they didn't.  The Black Diamond was a day train between New York
>and Buffalo; it carried a railroad owned and operated drawing-room parlor
>car, probably very similar to the one offered by Walthers (932-10300
>undecorated; 932-10304 PRR) for $44.98
>
>Randy Brown

Thanks Paul and Randy.

I read the CN supplied the sleepers for the Maple Leaf.  Any ideas on  the diner used on the Maple Leaf?

Dale Madison