RE: (erielack) Water bottles...

  Actually, this disgusting stuff WAS dumped into the Hackensack River via a siding on the (RR South) side of the tracks. I first became aware of this when riding an engine going up the Boonton line in the early 60s. As we approached the west end of the bridge, I smelled a bad odor in the humid summer air. NO, it was not just the Meadows smell...the oldhead engineer said I'd soon see a siding with 5 or 6 tank cars the RR had set out to just be dumped by a carknocker and let run down the embankment. What a smell.......I wonder who had that delightful job. I guarantee it was the lowest man on the seniority list.

Regards,

Walter E. Smith> From: paultup_@_comcast.net> To: erielack@lists.elhts.org> Subject: RE: (erielack) Water bottles...> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 21:45:38 -0400> > > A question from an old sewer engineer, just where and how was > > this wastewater disposed of? From Croxton perhaps directly > > into Newark bay and any of the local rivers.> > Pete Heimbach> > > Usually the water ended up in the Hackensack River, either directly or via> the swamp (or Pen Horn Creek, which ran through Croxton Yard)> > Then it ended up in Newark Bay and eventually the Atlantic Ocean.> > - Paul> > > The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List> Sponsored by the ELH&TS> http://www.elhts.org> To Unsubscribe: http://lists.elhts.org/erielackunsub.html