Re: (erielack) Suburban Propane/Richfield Springs

Todd, several reasons why an AA backhaul was unlikely. I don't think it was
a byproduct of soda ash production, so these were inbound loads. Private
cars are usually in assigned service so they tend to return empty. Finally,
with bulk commodities including liquids, there is the issue of having to
thoroughly clean the inside of the car so the subsequent load of a different
commodity doesn't get contaminated.

Paul B

I just came across your reply Paul B. Appreciate the extra data as always! I
found it very interesting to hear the cars also carried anhydrous ammonia.
Over the years I saw many tankers marked for anhydrous ammonia sevice at the
old Solvay Process site. I don't know if they were coming or going loaded
but do wonder if any Suburban cars got a "backhaul" from Solvay if ammonia
was being loaded from there. Glad to also hear of the late 60's time frame.
That fits right into my layouts time frame of late 60's to mid 70's!

Todd K. Stearns