Re: (erielack) Excursions on the DL&W Syracuse Branch

Todd,

  That's quite alright. I appreciate the reply and look forward to seeing the pictures.

  Ken

toddsyr <toddsyr_@_twcny.rr.com> wrote:
  Ken, I know I'm the one who started this thread but I apologize I can't
answer your questions for you. Hopefully, as earlier in the thread, others
with more NYSW knowledge will again jump in. I am glad for your queries
though, as I'm learning things from the answers also. Though I know little
factual data on the NYSW, I am and was always glad the company took over the
Syracuse Branch, amongst other things as well. The excursion next weekend is
in memory of Walter Rich. A man who saw a potential for profit in a branch
others had long given up hope for. In these past few years alone, I saw more
freight action through the elevated downtown Syracuse stretch than at all
other times in my life combined. Granted my age precluded much before the
Conrail era, but I do remember single car EL trains loping along I-81 in
days gone by. Even as a kid I was somewhat saddened by the state of affairs
back then. Yeah I know rules and regulations changed alot, traffic patterns
too. I still think it took alot of vision on the part of Walter Rich to
bring back full length freights to a line I always stared out the car window
at while on family trips as a youngster. I'm taking my camera with me on the
trip. It isn't much, but it's easy to use. I'll photograph as much as I can.
If I get some decent shots, I'll post them on www.railfan.net in the EL
section of the Fallen Flags forums.

Todd K. Stearns

Building a website is a piece of cake.