RE: (erielack) Erie Photo ID

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 Walter Smith emailed:

> My guess would be Buffalo........I've been to JC in the early 60s and
> Cleveland - both in the early 60s and don't remember trackwork like this -
> nor do I remember the building. JC is pretty straightforward...so's 55th St.
> I don't think it's the windy city either.
>
> IMHO
>
> Walt Smith

The track layout in the downtown Buffalo area changed several times over the
years so it is hard to pin down. There was a big grade crossing elimination
program and later the building of NYC's Central Terminal changed the Union
Station area track arrangement. The Erie moved from their own depot to LV's.
I stared at it and stared at it and nothing in the photo rang a bell for me.
What confuses me most is the elevated coal trestle to the right and the large
building with the power house to the left. I can't match this track
arrangement and the large building on any of my maps or aerials from the 1916
to 1940 time frame. I had originally thought it might be the area just west of
FW where the Lake and downtown lines split and the Erie had a sizeable shop
complex, but the line from the left crossing through the diamonds scratched
that idea.

I don't recognize the type of turnout power on the closest slip switch under
the loco, does it match Erie equipment? What's the timeframe for that Erie
logo on the tender? This smells like the 1930's to me. I wish we had a larger
and clearer copy of this photo.

If it is Buffalo, I don't think much or any of the track is Erie owned.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services