Re: (erielack) Trains Magazine Alert

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Jim Guthrie wrote:

> Just a quick alert that the new Trains Magazine has a nice article by the
> late Jim Warsher on the Erie Commuter Lines.
>
> Jim was a fount of "on the ground" information on the Erie and NYS&W, and it
> was a shame that he lost interest in sharing it online after some
> unfortunate comments about "old news" on the NYS&W list.
>
> But the article is most interesting!

I had corresponded with Jim on numerous occasions since 1998 and over the
years found out that he was very easily offended in interactive venues such as
email lists and forums, even by seemingly innocent comments with no mailce
aforethought. He quit one CNJ forum because someone posted something that
contradicted his recollection of CNJ RDC operations, IIRC something pretty
minor.

It was a really a shame because he had so much of value to share on a wide
variety of subjects. It was also somewhat ironic as he spent a lot of time
working on an online railroad historical society education program that didn't
happen for a number of reasons. Back in the 90's he was the victim, in his
words, of a "robbery with grievous bodily harm" that caused a lot of problems
with one of his hands (among "other things" as he said) and that may have
contributed to his lack of tolerance for some online situations.

Regardless, we always had interesting discussions and I sorely regret that I
never took him up on his invitation to visit him in Vermont.

I'll have grab a copy of that TRAINS issue, thanks for the heads up.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services

P.S. In case anyone is interested, here is his lesson plan first draft for his
stillborn RR HS online education course. He had asked for my comments back in
June of 1998. It's a shame it never came to fruition.

Lesson Plan  -  "The Railway Historical Society On-Line"

Week One Minus One

Send test mailing to class list asking for additions/corrections.

Send mailing to class list with Curriculum Vitae for me and all the
presenters for the course. In addition, ask for biographical information
from each student to be sent to the list in time for Monday, Sept. 28,
1998, start-up.

Week One

"Getting to Know You" week.

Send out mailing requesting each participant to describe her/his
organization and also describe what they expect to get out of the class.
In addition, they will be requested to describe their organizations
current critical issues, problems and priorities.

Week Two

Guest Lecturer, Chris Milner, Asst. Editor, The Railway Magazine (UK).

Guest lecturer to give overview of internet activities of railway
historical societies and preservation societies from the point of view of
a world-class railway magazine.

Lecturer will answer e-mail questions from class. Assignment for class is
to write about how they use the rail enthusiast print medium versus how
they use the internet medium for their press releases and publicity. In
addition, they will be asked to write about how they expect this will be
in the next five and next ten years.

Week Three

Guest Lecturer, Dan Onorovole, Webmaster, The New York, Susquehanna &
Western Technical & Historical Society. (Hasn't quite made up his mind)

Week Four

Guest Lecturer, Jussi Temponen, Director of Marketing, Jokionen Museum
Railway, Finland.

Week Five

Mid-Course Review Week. Students requested to present statistics of
website use (sales from "company store" activities, archive access
figures, membership and recruitment data, link policies, forecasts). This
information to be compiled by Jim Warsher and inputted to the final
report.

Week Six

Guest Lecturer, Phil Padgett, Friends of the East Broad Top Railroad
(Pennsylvania).
"Managing and Operating a Non-Profit Website; What You Can Do and What
You Cant Do."

Week Seven

Guest Lecturer, Phil Padgett.

Using the Website for Fundraising. Set-up and Follow-through.

Week Eight

Guest Lecturer, TBA

Week Nine

Guest Lecturer, TBA

Handling Credit Cards on your railway historical society website. How its
done, pitfalls to avoid, expenses, software requirements, legal
questions.

Week Ten

Final wind-up. Report production. Class requested to submit individual
reports which will be compiled into final document and e-mailed to each
student. Press release to major magazines giving names of participants in
class and their affiliations and describing the breakthrough nature of
the class. Arrangements revealed for keeping the group in touch with one
another.