Re:RE: (erielack) Re: Rapido

I find it interesting that Rapido will field an EL fantasy scheme on the hope that it will sell, but won't do the same car as a CPR fantasy, even though there are definite and specific requests.

To expand on the "fantasy" theme -- as some one has already pointed out, it's ALL fantasy anyway.  We're all in the first stage of the old "could have; should have; would have" and many of us spend a lot of time, energy and bytes on the other two, working towards "Did!"

For a third think-upon -- the high, "turtle-back" roof structure that provides the most obvious difference between the real Erie 2997 and 2998 and the Rapido version -- is not unique to the Erie.  It came from simply closing in the existing clerestory to form a continuous surface across the roof.  It was an easy way to smooth out the old-fashioned "monitor" or "railroad" roof.  Many roads did it, including CN,  and Pullman probably did it more than all others combined.  Where they differed was at the ends.  Some carried the shape all the way to the end of the car, while others sloped the roof end down to match the newer lightweights.

So, for modelling -- could that roof cross-section be produced in some form of replacement roof, either at manufacture or as  an after-market item?

I anticipate that the answer will be, "Too expensive to gamble on."

So -- surprise me.

Randy Brown
Jason,

. . .By the way, it's nice to know I am not the only one who gets requests that are not only impractical, but not terribly cost effective. Have a great weekend and keep producing outstanding quality products.

Allen Wahlström
Corpus Christi, TX