RE: (erielack) New tunnel

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Paul Brezicki wrote:

> Since it's in N Korea, I wonder if it doubles as a fallout shelter; that
> appears to be consistent with the mindset over there. I think I read that
> the PRR Hudson tunnels are actually fabricated tubes that sit in the mud on
> the river bottom.

You are correct. The PRR tunnels were bored through the mud using the shield
method of tunneling with cast iron ring segments. They "float" in the mud and
when they were built it was not known whether or not the tunnels would 'flow'
down the river with the mud. They turned out to be very stable.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services