Re:(erielack) BCW Erie Modernized Coach Roofs, was Rapido

The real cars came in 1926 with the top-equalized trucks; they were not an updater.  Or did you mean that you applied the Walthers trucks as an improvement over whatever came with the BCW kits?

If the roof problem could be solved, there is no reason the BCW approach couldn't produce a diner.  2997 and 2998 would be even easier.  Care must be taken, however: the slope at the end of the roof is different on the diners from the coaches and the two buffet-whatevers -- it's shorter on the diner.

The comment that started this whole thread -- that Tim would be happy to sell a 741 at the ELDCPS store -- I'll bet was aimed at a finished car.  Anybody want to build a bunch?

Randy Brown
John Adams wrote:

I contracted with someone
(sent them two coach kits plus trucks) to build two of the BCW coaches in  the two tone green paint scheme over year ago. However, they have been  having problems getting the roofs to fit right.

John - I had the same challenge, so contacted John Greene at BCW and he  informed me that he gets the roofs from a third party and apparently the  batch that I got with my three kits was not only a 1/4 inch too short,  but the bottoms of the ends were quite ragged.  I fixed the length by  splicing in .250 styrene about 1 and 1/2 inches in from one end so I  could hide the seam with the AC access cover and because I'm using  screws to hold the roof on and didn't want to stress the joint. . .  I updated the cars with electro-mechanical AC and  Walthers top-equalized trucks.

Please let me know if you want to see some pictures of how I corrected  the roof.

Good luck

Pat Foley