Re: (erielack) NJ/PA - Environmental Assessment for Lackawanna Cutoff now ava...

> I can see them squeezing a Station in some where , but yards and all that
> comes with it including engines running all night long?  West of
> Gouldsboro
> I don't see it and certainly not in the City of Scranton. Fortunately  I
> don't have to worry about it, and as I've been saying for the last 20
> years,
> "probably won't see it in my life time".

I don't think you need mych in the way of a yard to store 2-3 equipment sets
overnight -- which is what the plan seems to be.

There are huge stumbling blocks -- the biggest being who'll pay for
Andover-Slateford Jct. I suspect this will have to be on Pennsylvania's
budget. But the good news on that would be gaining some extra minutes by not
making any other local stops on the Cut-Off than Andover. It also removes
some of the clout of local NJ NIMBYs, including the Sierra Club, which,
thanks to financial support form the highway lobby and, perhaps Martz, has
called for adding lanes to I-80 and opposes restoring the cut-off.

Monroe and Lackawanna Counties have already spent lots of money in
anticipation of this -- DL's operations don't exist on their own business
merit, after all. Preservation and improvement of the DL&W main line has
always been sold on the basis of future "High Speed [sic] Passenger Rail"
and there would be h*** to pay if the work stopped.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie