(erielack) Listen to those Train Masters

Surely we've all seen pictures of the early EL years when the DL&W Train Masters were running in sets of three and four on freight trains. Whatta sound that must have been, sets of opposed-piston engines intensely droning in unison. Single FMs today can be heard, albeit rarely, slowly rolling around a couple of museums in North America. But trios working hard dragging freight up Clarks Summit or the helper sets shoving uphill through Devils Hole -- we'll never hear that again.

Not much on video impresses me these days, but this clip is impressive. Watch the whole train, and with these sounds it's not too difficult to imagine three Train Masters pulling Phoebe's freight uphill through Nay Aug tunnel in 1961, with three more pushing.

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=wEETEOcQW90&feature=related

These are two A-B-A sets of six-axle TE10U locomotives powered with Soviet-era versions of the Fairbanks-Morse opposed-piston prime mover, working somewhere on the Trans-Siberian. A BNSF dispatcher friend in Fort Worth sent this, and there are several clips of these on youtube.

Surely DL&W's were never this smokey, but whatta show. Do the EL-men who remember the Train Masters or the Little FMs on the B&P agree?

Enjoy                        ....Mike Del Vecchio