Re: (erielack) Re: Scranton and Death by Train (don't read the last few paragraphs if you're squeamish)

But cannot take a train or bus from NY to Scranton in less time, so Yes flying to Scranton does make sense. No accident or traffic delays on I-80 or train to Dover and drove from there in today's situation

Jerome

- --- On Sat, 6/20/09, Gary R. Kazin <gkazin_@_yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Gary R. Kazin <gkazin_@_yahoo.com>
Subject: (erielack) Re: Scranton and Death by Train (don't read the last few paragraphs if you're squeamish)
To: "EL Mail List" <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
Date: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 9:17 AM

- --- On Sat, 6/20/09, Bill K. <pontiac_@_dreamscape.com> wrote:
> Does it make sense to fly from Scranton to the New York
> metro area?  I doubt it.  Could you do it for less
> than the cost of a train ride? Again unlikely.  Which
> one is less pollutive?  Again it's unlikely it's the
> airline.

Orbitz shows connecting flights to Newark via Philadelphia for $299 and up round trip, with trip times of 3 to 6 hours.  Continental gets $603 for nonstops which take about an hour.

> I don't understand the Sierra Club being against this; a
> handful of trains a day is somehow worse for the environment
> than thousands of cars and trucks a day?

Jeff Tittel has become a BANANA (build absolutely nothing anywhere near anything).  NJDoT has already decided, many years ago, that there would be no further major widening of interstates...

> And last but not least... was this really called for?

> > From Archives_@_Railfan.net
> > Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:57:07 -0400
> > From: "vze3fhdr" <vze3fhdr_@_verizon.net>
> > Subject: Re: (erielack) Death By Train (not for the squeamish)
> >
> > > Death By Train

> > To Gary Kazin, and all you others who are fascinated by "Death by
> > Train":

> > Please do some of us on this list a favor and go experience it first
> > hand.

First of all, I did include a warning in the subject.  Those who might be offended were welcome to delete it unread.  Others, including train engineers, have felt it worth reading.

Many years ago, I was lucky enough to ride the front end of LIRR MU trains while going to college.  A few times, I saw animals that had been hit by trains.  One dog was cut in half, lying on both sides of a rail.  Not pretty, to say the least.

In 2001, while returning home from a night of NYC theater, my wife and I were on an NJT train that hit a suicide.  While I didn't SEE the person run out of the woods into the path of the train, I did hear the engineer blow the horn and hear and feel the engineer dump the air.  I heard the body bounce under the train.  I was somewhat shocked at the time.  Our trip home was delayed two hours.  While waiting for the response teams to arrive, do their jobs, then allow those on the train to be taken to another train, I was left to think about why someone would do 'it'.  I knew the train crew was deeply affected, especially those who had to walk past the scene.  I felt a lot of sympathy for them.