RE: (erielack) NJ/PA - Environmental Assessment for Lackawanna Cutoff now ava...

But that is what buses are for. Ex-Trolley companies including Public Service abandoned them fast as buses which used public highways and streets made their way. Used no electricity, did not need to maintain highways and streets, and supported Good Year Rubber and Standard Oil who also provide products for the cars we all use today. Buses were also able to operate on Extra Board on "Charter's" the electric vehicles were unable to do.

Jerome

- --- On Fri, 6/19/09, Gregory Botvinik <botvinesq_@_optonline.net> wrote:

From: Gregory Botvinik <botvinesq_@_optonline.net>
Subject: RE: (erielack) NJ/PA - Environmental Assessment for Lackawanna Cutoff now ava...
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
Date: Friday, June 19, 2009, 7:48 PM

Such systems work well and should be used in areas where cars have trouble,
namely high population-density areas (cities and suburbs) with choked
highways like Dallas-Fort Worth.  But they shouldn't be going where there is
little ridership potential rural areas and ex-urbs.  Light rail should be a
supplement to urban transit systems - not a total replacement.

Greg Botvinik
Highland Park, NJ
botvinesq_@_optonline.net