Re:Re:(erielack) Social investment WRT fire departments - wa

CORRECTION!

I meant, of course, "SANBORN" maps.  I have corrected the text below.

Randy Brown
In the 19th century -- perhaps as early even as the 18th century -- reidents would join a "Fire Assurance Society."  Their paid membership bought them a medallion which, when placed on the house, would alert people as to which fire protection company should be advised in case of fire.  Despite the obvious drawbacks, the system lasted for years and spawned both the local fire department and the fire insurance companies who, in turn, have given us all the other insurance joys and benefits we love.

Another outgrowth was the insurance map, SANBORN's being the best example.  The SANBORN maps, readily available in several media, give modellers not only a true picture of the status of a specific location at a specific time, but also a wonderful insight into how that changed over the passage of time -- when buildings and industries arose, and when they disappeared.

I've also learned that American Nickel will assume the pumper division of LaFrance.  They will make Pumpernickle.

Randy Brown

*snip*

> My father, myself and my grandpa Smith all belonged to the West Pittston fire dept. over the
> 3 generations. It was, of course, tax supported but I found out that apayments were received from
insurance companies
> that helped defray costs. I guess it was on the theory that there were less payouts for fire losses if there was a well run
> FD.

OK, we're way off topic, but yes, Walt, the insurance companies do invest in fire departments.  If you save the house, you've saved them money,  If you save the basement, not so much.

Here in Massachusetts we have (as most states do) a Fire Academy, where most of the state's firefighters go to attend classes so they know how to fight fires effectively.  I did a study on how to expand the Mass Fire Academy, which is now under construction.  I was amazed to find that ALL of
the operation of the FA is funded by the insurance companies by a surcharge on insurance policies. The Commonwealth pays for the buildings, but not for the operation.  The principle is what Walt's outlined, better fire fighters save the insurance companies money.

Right, Brad?

SGL

*Oh, the American LaFrance plant in Elmira was served by rail, both the PRR and the ERIE.  *whew*