Re: (erielack) NJ/PA - Environmental Assessment for Lacka

Nature (25 October 1906)

The Breeding Habits of the Tsetse-fly

E. A. MINCHN

I SHOULD be greatly obliged if you could find space in your columns for the
following extracts from a letter which I have received from my friend Dr. A.
G. Bagshawe announcing the discovery, I believe for the first time, of the
pupæ of the tsetse-fly (Glossina palpalis) in nature. As this species of
fly is now known to be the agent which disseminates the infection of
sleeping sickness, any discoveries relating to its breeding habits are of
the utmost importance from the point of view of devising measures for
extirpating the fly or checking its increase. Together with my colleagues
Lieuts. Gray and Tulloch, I spent a great deal of time, when I was in
Entebbe, in searching for the pupæ of the fly, and we offered the native
boys a rupee each for them, but all our efforts to find them in nature were
unsuccessful, although captive flies deposited great numbers of pupæ in our
cages. I ought, perhaps, to explain at this point that the tsetse-fly is
viviparous, and produces a full-grown larva, one at a time; the larva is of
a light yellowish tint when born, and wriggles about actively for an hour or
so, and then turns in a short time to a dark brown pupa, about the size of a
grain of wheat....
About as EL related as most of the other things in this thread.

Todd K. Stearns