From: MDelvec952 [mailto:mdelvec952_@_aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, 20 June, 2009 12:12 PM
To: EL Mail List
Subject: (erielack) Siding with the Lackawanna Cutoff

Ahhh, some facts, and not so much ROMA data.

While the discussion has gone on a bit long, Jerome's point of view is
enlightening and the pro-rail crowd should pay attention.  NJT and the
politicians are going to lock horns with many people with similar opinions
- -- solve the arguments before they're in the newspapers.  Martz, too, will
have a strong argument against rail since gov't isn't supposed to compete
with private business.  The Martz CEO could logically argue to pave the
cut-off for bus-only traffic.

NJT is doing the wise thing.  It cannot significantly add trains or
ridership until the new tunnel is in service. Start the Cut-off in a small
way to not congest the current system, and work with Pennsylvania to
complete the link.  How many of you realize that the State of Pennsylvania
invests more money in railroad infrastructure then CSXT?

Schuyler's assessment of the cost of owning his vehicle is a similar process
the IRS uses to determine deductibility.

Will Scranton / NYC trains be worth while?  Who knows.  Poconos to North
Jersey certainly will be eventually.

As for right versus left -- good people on both sides make an objective
government work.  Government needs more good people.  What we have now is
approaching kakistocracy.

            ....Mike Del Vecchio