From: "Paul R. Tupaczewski" <paultup_@_comcast.net>
Subject: RE: (erielack) Three bay PS2 covered hoppers

> Schuyler,
>
> According to my data, Erie did not acquire PS-2's, so I'm
> unclear as to what cars you're referring to. It did acquire
> 100 3-bays from Greenville
> (21800-21899) that appear to have been built to PS-2 design
> specs.

I believe he's referring to these cars, as Athearn has released their 3-bay
PS-2 in EL and Erie. They are almost identical with the exception of the
rooftop hatch spacing (something, that Jim Harr showed in his "From the
Workbench" column, is fairly easily rectified)

> These were 70-ton cars used for intermediate density
> commodities such as salt, soda ash and fertilizer, and AFAIK
> remained in this type of service throughout their service
> life.

When built for the Erie, they were classified as "dry bulk" cars and were
used primarily in sand and chemical service (I have several photos of these
cars at sand pits, an dripping white powder from their hatches)

After the EL merger, many of these were reallocated to support the former
DL&W's burgeoning Solvay soda ash traffic, but to the best of my knowledge
never were in service under Erie ownership.

I have personal experience seeing these cars in caustic chemical service in
EL years, as they would frequently appear at Drew Chemical in Boonton.

- - Paul