Re: (erielack) Railway Age Article on C-424 delivery 1963

Here's the ad from a March '68 Trains mag posted to the list in August of '03.

http://www.railfan.net/lists/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-08-28-03/EL-EMD-SD45_Ad-03-68_TRAINS.jpg

The blurb was "These two SD-45s are doing the work of five older Diesels."

Quite some time ago I had read that Alco had intended to produce a 624, but
there were no takers. The RA article was June 10, 1963 and the first 628
wasn't built until December that year. The 630 was first built in 1965 and the
636 followed in 1967. The double engine 855 (two 628's) was built in July of
1964.

Many of us have heard the story of the C-425 coming into existence because EL
(and maybe others?) wanted Alco to use the same main generator that was in the
U25B. The first 425 was built in October of 1964, in fact all of EL's 425's
were built in October of 1964.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services