Re: (erielack) DL&W, Kearny Jct 1960s-1970s

Bill,

Though one should know better than to say "never happened"
in this railfan business, but I suspect PRR freights didn’t
roll over the Jersey City branch Bridge over the Hackensack,
but used the lower level freight bridge on the P&H.

The only way to get to the Jersey City Branch Bridge was
through a very tight crossover at Waldo (the east end of
Journal Square). They would then have to go up a pretty
stiff grade to the bridge. On the P&H they switched to the
connecting track at Karny Interlocking and then to the route
through Harrison and Newark at Hudson Interlocking. In
short, I don’t think they went over the rollercoaster when
they could achieve the same end by simply running on the
through tracks that were in place for that purpose.

Further, a freight on the Joint Service tracks would have
been something the PRR avoided doing except in emergencies,
as there were both PRR and H&M trains on the line 24/7.

This isn't so OT as some might contend-- the M&E, the Erie
and the NYS&W all used this line back in the day, but before
the bridges we know were built.

Let me add that in the days when the NYS&W served Exchange
Place, they had to contend with PRR freight, as there were
no crossovers from the mainly-passenger Jersey City Branch
to the switch at Marion Junction. The NYS&W commuters
disliked that, as you might guess, especially since Jersey
City-bound trains had to crossover the westbound Harsimus
Cove Freight main to get to the eastbound track.  Westbound
trains coul easily be stabbed as well, as the "PRR Freight
Main" was also the "NYS&W main"

Of course, as I wrote in a  "Midlander"articles a few years
back, those complaints became something of a "be careful
what you wish for" when the Erie moved the trains over to
Pavonia after completion of the Arches. <g>.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie
ELHS #1296