Re:RE: (erielack) Santa Fe hi-levels redux

That's the question -- and we have to consider clearances, both height and length.

Parenthetical note:  Freight railroads were often tight for passenger equipment.  I rode the EL excursion from Hoboken to Weehawken and up the West Shore to West Point and Newburgh and under Moodna to Port Jervis and back over Moodna to get home.  The tightest part of the trip was getting the Erie diner (modernized heavyweight) down from the mainline at Hoboken to the Weehawken branch -- every Hat on the NY Division, as well as every passneger on the right side of the train, was watching as they oh! so gently! so slowly! so carefully! lowered it down the ramp.  The sigh or relief when it was done had to have changed the atmospheric air pressure for miles around!

So moving this big Budd -- longer and higher than the Erie dreadnaught -- should have taken a lot of thought.

Randy Brown
> P 27 shows a Budd-built hi-level diner for the Santa Fe on
> the back of the Reading's Wall Streeter on a "shakedown run
> up from Philadelphia" on January 7, 1964.  However, I wonder
> it wasn't really on its way to the EL at Hoboken for
> forwarding to the Santa Fe at Dearborn Station.
>
> Does the date coincide with any of the pictures shown in our
> earlier exchanges on this subject?

Well, the date on the slide in Hoboken is simply "1964", and the shot of the car in Train 21 headed west for delivery is February 1964. Soooo....

Plausible? It would have to have been interchanged to the EL from Jersey City via the National Docks, correct?