Re:Re: (erielack) EMD Art [was Railway Age Article on C-424

Different approaches to (maybe) different markets.  Howard Fogg gloried in and based his reputation on producing an absolutely realistic image in an absolutely fictitious setting so that you couldn't tell one from the other.  I own a Fogg original which shows a New York Central Hudson northbound along the Hudson with the S.S. Hendrick Hudson in the background -- wonderfully atmospheric and accurate, except that you can't tell just exactly where it is, nor can anyone confirm that such a convergence of Hudson ever occured.  But the painting, and the prints I had made, just reek "Hudson."

The Hill and Fawell renderings -- and you will note that we are talking EMD only -- were to appeal to the more "modern" taste.  Apparently, Alco/GE thought differently.  I like Fogg better.

Randy Brown

Bern Hill and Tom Fawell did some good work, but in my opinion no body comes close to Howard Fogg.
I have quite few of his lithographs from the Alco collection including both of the Erie FA scenes. Also EMD
lithographs from the late 1940's thru the 1950's are really nice, I have the Erie FT, F3 & E8. The best part
about them is I got them for free when I was teenager. All you had to do is write to Alco or EMD and they would
send them to you.
Jerry Custer
ELHS 2603