Re: (erielack) More U34CH videos

In the past, two locomotives were often required for the longer trains - E8's had 'only' 2250 HP.  The F40's have 3000 and the trains aren't as long...

U34's were double-headed on the longer Port Jervis trains to make sure of climbing the steeper grades at a reasonable speed.  Though they had 3400 hp and the F and GP40's only have 3000, the EMD's seem to have less trouble with the grades.

Today, when NJ Transit (not M-N) puts two locomotives on a train, it's usually because one has just been shopped and they don't want the train to get stuck if that one fails - whether diesels or electrics.  They may both be -running- but only one is doing the work of moving the train and providing HEP.  No NJT train NEEDS two locomotives other than the Atlantic City Express (which may have run its last).

Weekend charters for Santa Claus and Easter Bunny trains can have up to 10 cars; the ones I work on always have two locomotives just in case of an engine failure.  You do NOT want a train load of kids to be stuck anywhere while waiting for a relief engine.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey