Re: (erielack) Re: Jim, you have been hacked!!!

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012, Gary R. Kazin wrote:

> Right.  Send it ONLY to Mr Priebe, who can do something about it.
>
> By now, I presume you've also deleted the original SPAM message and the reply from the archives...

No, don't send it to me, I already have it if you do! If someone wants to carp
about it, reply to ONLY the sender's email address, not the list or me. I
won't find out about it any faster by having another copy of it plopped into
my inbox.

Yes, every time this happens because of the poor security and monitoring of
AOL, Hotmail and Yahoo I have to manually wade through the digest spool files
and find the offending message(s) and remove them. Because each message's
filename is a sequenced number I then have to rename each later message to the
previous number. If there are two or more it is even more of a pain.

If the spam arrives after I have gone to bed, it gets into the digest and that
doubles the hassle and causes a number of people to not get the digest because
their ISPs spam filter it out.

To add insult to injury, when it comes from AOHELL I get tens of nasty little
messages from AOHELL whining that *I* sent THEM spam when it was AOHELL's mail
servers that dumped it on us on the first place.

Interestingly enough, this has NEVER happened with GMail. If you use AOL,
Hotmail or Yahoo (all of which have been SPAM factories since they connected
to the internet) I cannot recommend strongly enough that you drop your email
with them like waste from a hotbox and sign up with GMail. I have had a GMail
account for years and never have any problem with it. Their spam filtering is
also top notch.

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/en/switch.html

[/RANT]

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services