Re: ACC, CA, Instant Adhesive . . . was RE: (erielack) Help with caboose

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 05:32:20PM -0500, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:

> them there until it sets up.  If you don't have a piece of glass like that
> (doesn't everybody?) you can use the vacuum-formed plastic from packaging,
> or even baggies.  You will find that you have plenty of that to work with,
> now that you know you want it for this.

You will find that using plastic to hold the CA adhesive drop will result in
a longer "pot-life", as the glass tends to acquire a very thin layer of water
when exposed to anything besides *very* dry air.

> ACC sets from humidity in the air.  If things are dry in the house (as they
> usually are in the winter) you can speed things along a bit simply by
> breathing on the joint after you've got it together.  Of course, this also
> means you have less time to work with if you're working in humid non-air
> conditioned space in August.   There is stuff called "zip-kicker," which
> accelerates setting, but after reading the ingredients on that bottle I
> tossed it out.  Nasty, nasty.

Exhaling on the joint before or after applying the adhesive will also hasten
the set-up time. The kicker is just an aliphatic (i.e. organic) mono or diamine,
which, having a fairly loose hydrogen on the amine group, works the same as
water, or possibly better.

> BTW, I have also found that ACC works pretty well for the random broken
> fingernail, at least for a few days.  Glue it, file it smooth, and be more
> careful.

Yep, also good if you cut yourself - hold the cut together, and apply a little
CA to the wound. Seals it right up.

Carl "Better living through Chemistry" Gustafson