ACC, CA, Instant Adhesive . . . was RE: (erielack) Help with caboose

Well, there are repetitive discussions on the Steam Freight Cars list
(Yahoo) about ACC, CA or whatever you want to call it.  CA=ACC, for
starters.  Many of the participants in that list are inveterate resin kit
builders, so there is a body of experience there.

Most of these threads end up with a consensus that while there are some
exotica out there, that really, you're just as well off to go to CVS and buy
the cheapest Krazy Glue or CVS-branded "Instant Adhesive" they have, in
SMALL tubes, because a) they are pretty much all the same and b) they
quickly go solid.  Or sometimes they do.  I have had ACC go solid overnight
after opening a new (fortunately small) tube.  I have had the same brand
stay useable for months and months.

That said, I recently pitched a bottle of Loctite CA.  I don't remember the
exact product number, but I got it a True Value hardware store.  I tossed it
because it had >finally< gone solid in the tip of the bottle, and I couldn't
get it open again.  It had also become slightly more syrupy than it was at
the outset, so I knew it was on the way out.

The other question is do you want the thin watery variety, the thick, or the
gel?  If your joints are Really Tight (and I think the JJL joints are mostly
so) then the watery kind is good, IF you can get at the back of the joint,
where it won't show, and IF you can hold it together tightly for ten seconds
or so.  I don't care for the watery variety because it runs into places
where you didn't intend it - like where your fingers are holding things
together.  And then it holds you to the things you were holding together.
>8^[

I find the thick variety more convenient to use.  And I've never had
occasion to want to use the gel, so I can't say much about that.

Application technique matters.  More glue does not necessarily equal a
stronger bond.  It mostly equals a longer set time.  I have a small piece of
spandrel glass, which has a black frit on the back side (architect's
sample).  I put a drop on the plain side, and use a long hat pin to apply
the thick ACC to the joint, before putting the two pieces together - usually
- - and then I put them together carefully.  The thick ACC usually gives you
ten, fifteen seconds to get things perfectly lined up, and then you can hold
them there until it sets up.  If you don't have a piece of glass like that
(doesn't everybody?) you can use the vacuum-formed plastic from packaging,
or even baggies.  You will find that you have plenty of that to work with,
now that you know you want it for this.

ACC sets from humidity in the air.  If things are dry in the house (as they
usually are in the winter) you can speed things along a bit simply by
breathing on the joint after you've got it together.  Of course, this also
means you have less time to work with if you're working in humid non-air
conditioned space in August.   There is stuff called "zip-kicker," which
accelerates setting, but after reading the ingredients on that bottle I
tossed it out.  Nasty, nasty.

Being the daredevil I am   8^)   I work without having any debonder on hand.
Sure, I've glued a few things to myself a couple of times, but mostly, I'm
just Real Careful About That.  But it might not be a bad idea to have some
around.  You can simply peel small things off.  But if you glued your four
fingers together, well . . .

And you may want to limit your exposure to it; I spent a long winter's day
with the windows closed assembling a Dunmore hopper kit a few years ago, and
by the end of the day, the odor of the ACC was making me pretty nauseous.
Ventilation is a good idea.

BTW, I have also found that ACC works pretty well for the random broken
fingernail, at least for a few days.  Glue it, file it smooth, and be more
careful.

Schuyler

Held in?

=======