Re: (erielack) Re: Norfolk Southern Heritage Fleet - Good and Bad News

I have been re-reading H. Roger Grant's Book ERIE LACKAWANNA, DEATH OF AN
AMERICAN RAILROAD.  There's lots of things to bring up from that book but
right now I submit that the EL paint scheme, no matter which one is
discussed, was only intended to be a temporary event with EL management
constantly looking for someone to take over the company NYC/PRR, N&W/C&O.
 I believe they understood that the company, sandwiched between NYC, PRR,
B&O would not be able to compete in the extended future of the merger.
 Their best hope was with N&W but fortunes began to fail even before the
hurricane Agnes hit in '72.  I think former employees would be happen with
the DL&W and Erie paint schemes.  Many kept referring to EL as "Erie" or
"Lackawanna" right to the end.

Ed Montgomery