(rshsdepot) "Real" railroads in NY City Streets

Received from Kenyon F. Karl...

None of the railroad cars in the photograph have the 'radial couplers' and
rounded ends required for operation on the very sharp curves that are
usually encountered on city streetcar trackage. There still remains a very
small chance that the cars were moved ONE AT A TIME over the streetcar track
using a special coupler with jointed drawbar between the locomotive and
freight car. Additional confirmation that interurban freight cars complying
with specifications established by the Central Electric Railroad Association
were rarely (if ever) handled by the nearby steam railroads, thus there is
little reason for an interuban freight car from the midwestern trolley lines
to stray into New York City.

Kenyon F. Karl
Kenyon_Karl_@_mail.com
http://www.new-england-rail-trails.org