(rshsdepot) Brookfield, CT

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "John I. Russell, Executive Director" <jirussell_@_charterinternet.com>
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 11:49 AM

N e w s  R e l e a s e
CONTACT: John I. Russell, Executive Director
PHONE: 203-775-4526 X102
WEBSITE: ROOKFIELDCRAFTCENTER.ORG
Email: CRAFTCENTER_@_CHARTERINTERNET.COM
DATE: August 15th, 2003

CRAFT CENTER ACQUIRES HISTORIC RAILROAD STATION AS PART OF
EXPANSION/RENOVATION PLAN

Brookfield, CT --- Exciting plans are underfoot at the Brookfield Craft
Center as it approaches its 50th Anniversary in 2004. The Center recently
purchased the landmark train station facing it on the opposite side of Route
25. This is the first step in Phase Three of an ongoing capital campaign to
renovate and expand the historic campus, which includes a gallery, gift shop
and multiple studios for classes and workshops.
"When the railroad station came up for sale, it was an opportunity
not to be missed," said John Russell, Executive Director of the Craft Center
since 1980. The station will provide much needed parking spaces as well as
additional studio space. The generosity of the Craft Center's Trustees and
friends have made this possible. We have already raised nearly $100,000 for
the purchase and renovations - an incredible show of support!" "Actually we
are just continuing the tradition of historic preservation. When the
Brookfield Craft Center was established in 1954, it preserved an historic
mill complex built in 1780. Now we're doing the same thing again by saving
the old railroad station, an important part of the town's heritage. Future
plans call for a total renovation of the building to restore its original
architectural details. Funding is currently being sought for specific parts
of the renovation," said Mr. Russell.
"The station is historically significant," says Jacqueline Salame,
an architect, preservationist, and a Trustee of the Craft Center. Ms. Salame
is also Chairman of Brookfield's Historic Commission. "The railroad came to
Brookfield in the mid 1840's. This station was built in 1914 to replace a
smaller station. It was used mainly for freight and like the old mill, it
was an important center of commerce and socializing when Brookfield was an
agrarian community and farmers would receive their tools and seed by train."
Salame says the station is structurally sound. "Some changes were made over
the years; the eaves under the roof were closed in and windows were
re-arranged. We will uncover the eaves, re-arrange the windows in some form
of historic order, and open up the interior. Eventually it will be similar
to the antique railroad station in Kent. It will help tie the whole Craft
Center together; it has the potential of making the place more of a
community center with parking and a picnic area, and interior space for
special events such as the Center's popular Annual Holiday Sale which always
needs more space".
David Scribner, State Representative for the 107th district and
current President of the Craft Center's Board of Trustees said, "The day we
(the board) voted to do this, nobody hesitated. It was a once in a lifetime
opportunity. Board members wrote checks and we approached other generous
friends who believe in the Craft Center's successful future. People like to
be part of something that's positive and growing. The feeling was, 'It's an
investment, not a contribution." "I successfully pursued a grant from the
state of Connecticut for $134,400 toward the purchase and restoration- an
acknowledgement of its value for the economic development of Brookfield and
the tourism potential for the state. Nationally known artist/instructors and
students travel from all over the country for workshops at the Craft Center
and this encourages growth in the lodgings industry, restaurants and other
local businesses". "Even in these tough times we're seeing a rise in gallery
sales and class enrollments at the Craft Center. Going there is therapeutic
for me. It's so exciting and energizing to be part of something that is so
positive and has such a broad impact", Scribner states.
For the present, the Craft Center will manage the two rental spaces
in the former railroad station, continuing to raise funds for all the
projects in their capital campaign, including the renovations of the
Railroad Station which have just begun", according to Mr. Russell. "In 1996
we began a multi-year capital campaign to 'create a craft center for the
21st century'. The campaign has fostered completion of several projects
including a new roof for our historic mill building (circa 1780), renovated
and expanded gallery spaces and relocation of the administration offices to
the second floor, renovation and expansion of our former weaving studio
(circa 1957) into a multiple purpose facility for classes and events, plus
major landscaping/masonry work on the east side of their campus.
In addition to the railroad station purchase, Phase Three of the
Center's capital campaign calls for extensive renovations of two other core
buildings that are located on the west side of the Still River: their
historic "Barn Building" (circa 1820) which contains a pottery studio, a
woodworking studio and a paper/books arts Studio; and their "Faculty House",
(circa 1830) which will become a new Student/Faculty Center with additional
teaching studios, a research library, a student/faculty lounge & gallery and
improved accommodations for visiting faculty.
Brookfield Craft Center was founded in 1954 to "promote and preserve
the skills and values of fine craftsmanship". In 1982 it received our
state's highest honor in the arts, The Governor's Arts Award. The Center was
featured twice on CNN for its innovative non-profit business strategies.
Today it is recognized as one of the nations foremost non-academic
professional schools for fine craftsmanship. It is located on Route 25, just
east of  the "Four Corners" intersection with Route 7/202. For further
information, call 203-775-4526; or visit their website at
BROOKFIELDCRAFTCENTER.ORG.

_

John I. Russell, Executive Director
Brookfield Craft Center, Inc.