Re: (rshsdepot) Maywood, NJ

Here's a thought: Hoboken-bound passengers on the NYS&W from Maywood could detrain at Susquehanna Transfer and pick up a Northern Branch E-L Train to Hoboken (at least after the Croxton "Back up Move" was created for NRR trains in the early 1960's). E-L Employee timetables of the era do show a stop at Susquehanna Transfer for one train. The only advantage would have been to downtown commuters. For uptown commuters it would have been senseless, since buses from the Transfer went to the PA at 42nd St.
Don
>From: "James Kelling" <JAMES.KELLING_@_NARA.GOV>
>To: <RSHSDEPOT_@_LISTS.RAILFAN.NET>
>Subject: Re: (rshsdepot) Maywood, NJ
>Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:58:27 -0400
>
>I believe Maywood was on the Erie (later Erie Lackawanna) line.

>In a message dated 10/10/2003 7:23:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>brwagenblast_@_comcast.net writes:
>
> > More than 100 years ago, passengers waited for Hoboken-bound trains in the
> > small Victorian-style train station in Maywood
>
> Um, since when did trains on the Susquehanna Railroad go to Hoboken!
>As far as I can determine, they always went to Jersey City! And when the
>Erie's Jersey City Terminal was closed down, they terminated in Susquehanna
>Transfer because there was no practical way for them to get to Hoboken.
>
> Daniel Chazin
> Teaneck, NJ

>The Railroad Station Historical Society maintains a database of existing
>railroad structures at: http://www.rrshs.org

>The Railroad Station Historical Society maintains a database of existing
>railroad structures at: http://www.rrshs.org

 Need more e-mail storage? Get 10MB with Hotmail Extra Storage.