RE: (rshsdepot) Maywood, NJ

> From: rshsdepot-owner_@_lists.railfan.net
>
> Here's a thought: Hoboken-bound passengers on the NYS&W from
> Maywood could detrain at Susquehanna Transfer and pick up a
> Northern Branch E-L Train to Hoboken (at least after the Croxton
> "Back up Move" was created for NRR trains in the early 1960's).
> E-L Employee timetables of the era do show a stop at Susquehanna
> Transfer for one train. The only advantage would have been to
> downtown commuters. For uptown commuters it would have been
> senseless, since buses from the Transfer went to the PA at 42nd St.

Huh?

Susquehanna Transfer was ****never**** a stop where passengers could
transfer. In fact, Erie, and later E-L crews were specifically instructed
NOT to let passengers board at the Transfer. In later years, passengers had
to purchase a ticket **at the depot** and make it clear to the conductor on
the Hoboken-bound train that they wanted to make the Motor Coach Connection
for the train to even slow down at the Transfer, let alone stop to let
someone on.

Going toward Nyack and Sparkill was even tougher -- the Northern trains
**might** slow down if they saw someone waiting to board, but if they didn't
see you, you were out of luck.

The Transfer also had no "local" tariffs -- all tickets were through tickets
to and from the Times Square Station, and later Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Believe me, if the connection had been possible, the number of daily
passengers on the NYS&W would not have dropped from 1400 to 200 the day
trains ceased running to Jersey City.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie (who used to spend alot of time hanging around the Transfer)