RE: (rshsdepot) New York, NY: An Architect's Grand Vision for a TradeCenter T...

Personally, I like Calatrava.  I was in Spain for the summer of '94 and
did a study of Modern and Contemporary Spanish architecture (among other
things).  As an architect he is very sensitive to locale, even while
maintaining his own style which, to my personal liking, owes many
elements to the Modernismo movement out of Cataluna, most notably Gaudi.

If civic architecture (and especially railroad and other transportation
architcture) is to remain relevant and inspiring to newer generations,
it must be willing to take some artistic risks. The era of the grandiose
piles like St. Louis is gone (although I like them and lament their
passing, especially when standing in an "Amshack") and newer and more
innovative expressions of civic pride are called for.  Just my $0.02
worth.

Blake H. Lindsey

Kerman, CA, Just down the block from Kerman Yard, SJVR

Cool your heels on the rail of an observation car. Let the engineer open
her up for ninety miles an hour. Take in the prairie right and left,
rolling land and new hay crops, swaths of new hay laid in the sun.  A
signalman in a tower, the outpost of Kansas City, keeps his place at a
window with the serenity of a bronze statue on a dark night when lovers
pass whispering.

(Carl Sandburg, "Still Life")