RE: (erielack) Re: place names (was subject matter)

>Heck, "Lackawanna" is Native American!  (doesn't it mean "place where the
rivers meet" or "place >where the river forks"?)

	- Paul
I thought it meant "Place where anthracite is" or "Home of Phoebe Snow" :)

How about NY...
- -Painted Post
- -Horseheads
- -Gang Mills
- -Deposit
- -Not far from Salmanca, there is a "Steamburg". Did the E-L run through
there?

And how many murdered pronounciations and misspellings of the below?
- -Salamanca
- -Olean
- -Cattaraugus
- -Avoca
- -Callicoon

Or my favorite, "Pearl River", often pronounced as "Perrivr" by conductors
on the Pascack Valley Line.