RE: (erielack) L&HR on EL mystery and a copyrighted picture

> > Here's a question   .   .   .   if you purchase original
> > Kodachrome slides (as I had done for many years of the EL and other
> > Roads) that were copyrighted, do you then own the copyright
> since it
> > is the original copyrighted image that was purchased?
>
> I wish I knew the answer to this one. I always thought that
> if you own the ORIGINAL of a slide, then that technically is
> your slide to do whatever you want with. But now I hear that
> doesn't necessarily have to be the case anymore on this. As I
> understand it, a copyright is implicitly created whenever an
> individual creates a work, whether that's taking a photo,
> writing a book, or developing a piece of computers software.
> They can sell that "work", but it is still copyrighted by THEM.
>
> Anyone know for sure?
>
> 	- Paul

Disclaimer:  I am not a lawyer.

But, Paul,  I believe you have it exactly correct.  Unless you explicitly included the rights to the
image when you bought it, and probably unless you have documentation to that effect, the copyrights
remain with the "author," whether a written work or a photo or a painting or any other form of
artistic expression.  Probably that limitation, "artistic expression," is somewhat too limiting, as
architectural and mechanical drawings are copyright works.  The buildings themselves, built from the
copyrighted drawings, are probably not copyrighted.

SGL