(erielack) Susquehanna (Was: Where is everybody?)

Ed, the list has been alive and well, so you need to get with Henry and get your email address back on it.

Concerning Susquehanna, I think it's significance lies more in the fact that it was located at the base of the main Erie helper grade, so it was a natural stopping point including cc. The station was large because it was also a restaurant/hotel, being built in the days before dining and sleeping cars (acc to LDY the first brick station-hotel in the country). It's cc function diminished in the late 60's with the advent of ID runs. Binghamton was less important to Erie than it was to DL&W. In EL years the shops were mainly for passenger equipment and were closed after the demise of through service in 1970.

Paul B

From: "Montgomery, Edward T" <Edward.Montgomery_@_fcps.edu>
Subject: (erielack) Where is everybody?

I'm wondering what happened to the list since early July I haven't seen
any postings.  It might be a problem on my end; not sure.

I was looking at the August calendar picture in Susquehanna.  Here's a
historical question:  Did Erie envision Susquehanna being a larger city
than Binghamton?  The station and the location of the shops seemed to
indicate something like that.  Before I knew anything about that area I
wondered because timetables had Susquehanna in the same bold-face type
Binghamton, Elmira and other cities were.  When did EL finally close
down the shops there?