RE: (erielack) Assistance please.

That is exactly what it was.  GE set up an ABBA set of units that bore a very good resemblance to
Alco FAs.  When on the ERIE (for several years in ERIE paint) they were configured as UM-12 in one
AB set, and UM-16 in the other two.  A minor detail lost on most.  When they were through tweaking
them in various ways to find out how to build diesels for themselves, without working with Alco,
they took them back to Erie, and rebuilt them into the UM-20s which everybody calls them, and sold
them to the Union Pacific.  (Oh, right, UM-12 meant 1200 HP, UM-16, 1600 HP, and I suppose it's
obvious that UM-20 was a 2000 HP locomotive.)  Sometime after they took them back, they built the
very first U-20 (I think) and these were the exported units which preceeded the U-25b, the first
units GE sold in the domestic market.

There is or recently was a photo of the UM-20 in UP paint on eBay.  You probably could locate it
with a search for "UM-20" if you're curious.

SGL