Re: (erielack) Assistance please.

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
> That is exactly what it was.  GE set up an ABBA set of units that bore a very good resemblance to
> Alco FAs.  When on the ERIE (for several years in ERIE paint) they were configured as UM-12 in one
> AB set, and UM-16 in the other two.  A minor detail lost on most.  When they were through tweaking
> them in various ways to find out how to build diesels for themselves, without working with Alco,
> they took them back to Erie, and rebuilt them into the UM-20s which everybody calls them, and sold
> them to the Union Pacific.  (Oh, right, UM-12 meant 1200 HP, UM-16, 1600 HP, and I suppose it's
> obvious that UM-20 was a 2000 HP locomotive.)  Sometime after they took them back, they built the
> very first U-20 (I think) and these were the exported units which preceeded the U-25b, the first
> units GE sold in the domestic market.

When I worked at GE Erie and rode the demonstrators as a data collector,
or 750 as we called it, I don't remember hearing them called UM-12, or
UM-16.

The 1950s line of export locomotive was dubbed th U(Universal) line.
However they did not contain many of the features that were in the later
U line domestic locos.

The first production series of locos of the U line were U18C or U18C1.
They were 42 inch gauge locos for the South African Railways. with a 1-C
+C-1 wheel arragnement.   I havea tie clip that I got in Erie when the
U18C1s were bult.  The tie clip loc is a UxxC with a high hood.

> There is or recently was a photo of the UM-20 in UP paint on eBay.  You probably could locate it
> with a search for "UM-20" if you're curious.

There is a picture of one of the A unit at
www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/44499.