From: Michael Connor <mjconnor_rr_@_hotmail.com>
To: ELRR Lists <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>; 'Stephen Twarogowski' <stwarogowski@windstream.net>; krinmich@aol.com
Sent: Fri, Jun 19, 2009 9:35 am
Subject: RE: (erielack) Re: EL in Railfan and Railroad

Paul
The Lorain, Ashland & Southern was a joint Erie Railroad-Pennsylvania Railroad affiliate for most of its life.  In its early abandonment (c. 1926) the Erie acquired the Ashland terminal trackage of the LA&S and the balance was scrapped.  The newish book, "The Rattlesnake and the Ramsey," digs very deep=2
0into the history of this line although I still am puzzled as to what the Erie really got for consenting to abandonment of a jointly-owned direct link to Lorain and the tube works.
MJC

> From: doctorpb_@_bellsouth.net
> To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net; stwarogowski@windstream.net; KRinMich@aol.com
> Subject: (erielack) Re: EL in Railfan and Railroad
> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 06:58:40 -0400
>
> Thanks, Steve, I figured you'd chime in at some point. That's quite an
> Ashland Turn, 99 cars. Considering the FB-4 consist, it appears that roughly
> half the Turn was Hardings. Interesting also that the train was essentially
> empty parts cars. IIRC, the inbound materials for Fisher Body were trucked
> in from foundries nearby at Lordstown and Cleveland. I recall a study you
> sent me a while back, conducted by EL in the mid-60's, considering the
> potential for diversion of FB traffic from Cleveland being diverted to rail.
> It concluded that rail service was too slow and unreliable over such a short
> haul, not to mention the poor equipment utilization. One wonders if a
> dedicated short, reduced crew, interdivisional train similar in concept to
> Reading's "Bee-Line Service" might have succeeded here.
>
> There were quite a few customers at Ashland. It appears that activity on the
> Kent Sub was concentrated in two portions, between Harding and Ashland
> (including Mansfield), then further east between Creston (W&LE interchange)
> and Kent, and few custo
mers in the roughly 20 miles between Ashland and
> Creston. So a turn terminating at Ashland makes sense to me now.
>
> According to my SPV atlas, the LA&S (Lorain, Ashland & Southern) was a PRR
> affiliate, and evidently was abandoned long before the EL years. So I
> presume Erie picked up some LA&S trackage and customers in the Ashland area
> when this occurred.
>
> Paul B
>

> From: "Stephen Twarogowski" <stwarogowski_@_windstream.net>
> Subject: (erielack) Re: EL in Railfan and Railroad
>
> Industry in Ashland included the following (from the Central Territory firms
> list):
>
> Ashland City Farm Bureau Ashland OH EL Grain
> Ashland Equity Exchange Ashland OH EL Grain
> Budd Co. Ashland OH EL Railcars
> Eagle Rubber CO. Ashland OH EL Rubber Goods
> F.E. Myers Ashland OH EL Pumps and Sprayers
> Faultless Rubber Co. Ashland OH EL Rubber Goods
> Garber Publishing Ashland OH EL Printers
> General Latex & Chemical Ashland OH EL Liquid Latex
> Hess and Clark Ashland OH EL Animal Feed
> National Latex Products Ashland OH EL Rubber Goods
> U Brand Co. Ashland OH EL Pipe Fittings
>

> Picking a Sunday out of my January 1972 Marion Trainsheets it shows the
> Ashland Turn on Sunday, Jan 16, 1972 as being ordered at 1700 and departing
> Marion at 1900. 10 loads, 89 empties with RS3's 1005, 1037, 1026, 1008,
> 1021. The 1026 and 1008 were left at Harding; 1037 was left at Mansfield;
> the 1005 was left at Ashland. The following day FB-4 wa
s ordered at 1600
> and departed Marion at 2100 with C424 2406 and 1 load, 52 empties. It
> arrived OD at 2245. FB-5 made the return trip departing OD at 0035 with 43
> loads and 8 empties; 29/8 for Marion, 14/0 for the C&O. Looking at a few
> days worth of FB-4/FB-5 it looks like C209 was its assigned caboose.
> Conductor McAdow and engineer Schmitt.
>
> Steve
>

> From: krinmich_@_aol.com
> Subject: (erielack) Re: EL in Railfan and Railroad
>
> Paul
>
> The last crew at Harding was done on Saturday morning.? Sometime on
> Friday/Saturday whatever westbound with a divisional crew that came along
> and could work without delaying anybody would gather up the engines.? Could
> be MC-3, 93, 95, 89, 61 whatever - any Marion hump train.? Might not be the
> same train for all the engines because there was a timetable limit on how
> many engines you could have together.? Ashland had a lot of little places.?
> There was some kind of foundry and a lot of stuff along the old LA&S south.?
> Biggest place was probably Eagle Rubber (I think that's the name).? They did
> a lot of business but no tonnage because it was a lot of rubber toy
> products.? Eagle Rubber still was using a lot of the old 40 ft box cars just
> because of?their product with low tonnage.? I nerver worked as an agent
> there so I couldn't tell you all the places.? Ashland was the end of the
> turn because we had to get the serviced engine back th
ere in time for Monday
> morning.? There wouldn't!
> be anything to pick up coming back unless for some reason the Marions from
> Friday had gotten missed at Ashland or Mansfield or maybe there was still a
> WB of all Marions still sitting at Martel WB siding that had been set off
> because Yard C was filled up.? You couldn't pick up anything off the PRR at
> Mansfield because that would be a yard move and I don't really think it
> would be a wise idea to have rord power going into the sidetracks at
> Mansfield to pick up.? If there was anything, there wouldn't be anyone there
> to tell us it was ready.? Anything that got picked up on Sunday night was
> because it had not been picked up since?it was ready on Friday or the
> aforementioned Marions not moved because Yard C was full.? Usually by Sunday
> night we had cleaned up what we had set off on Wednesday through Friday
> that?had been?held out of Marion WB Yard.
>
> Keith
>

> The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
> http://EL-List.railfan.net/

Insert movie times and more without leaving HotmailŪ. See how.