RE: (erielack) Going Going Gone

> Finally got a chance to swing buy Kingsland this morning on
> the way home, and was glad I did.
> In another 2-3 weeks the main bay of the Lackawanna's
> Kingsland Shop complex will be history.  Bob Stafford and I
> visited the complex in the  early spring and it had dump
> trucks literally driving through it, and piles of  dirt
> within it, which I thought wasn't good.  It wasn't until
> list member Rich Wisnewski mentioned it about a month ago
> that I though I better  get back
> over there.   The buildings on the geographic south side  or
> across, what was
> the transfer table, are all privately owned and in  use.  The
> largest building is used by Sigma and Omega plastics, both
> of which are big customers for NS.
>
> I guess the phrase " A picture is worth a thousand words"
> applies  here!

Wow, it's sad to see this monolith fall. As a kid, we would often cut through Lyndhurst to get to the large cemetary in North Arlington where several family members are interred, and I would always stare at this building (then the "Benedict-Miller Heat Treating" factory). Then we'd cross over the very crappy railroad track right near it, which I later learned was the DL&W Kingsland Branch that connected the Boonton Line (EL Main Line) at Kingsland with the Morris & Essex line at Harrison. It was still inservice, as I'd see covered hoppers and tank cars at the adjacent FMC chemical plan, but wow, that track looked like utter garbage.

Shockingly, the track was used for many, many years after that, sometimes holding 89' flat cars holding garbage containers! Bob, can you confirm whether or not the Kingsland Branch is finally done? I believe the garbage transloading facility in North Arlington no longer uses rail?