Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 17:28:50 -0500

From: "Paul R. Tupaczewski" <paultup_@_comcast.net>

Subject: (erielack) Train BH-4

Hi folks,

I was looking through my Boonton photos, and I have a shot by John Durant of

an eastbound "BH-4" rolling through Boonton in 1975. I realized I had no

idea what this train was, so I looked at Jim Gerofsky's freight symbol

pages, where it had the following description:

"Buffalo - Hoboken 4, mixed manifest, a DL&W holdover symbol. Connected to

L&HR 30 to Maybrook, thence NH OB-6 to Boston until early 1962 (EL sought to

discourage this routing in favor of the ex-Erie routing direct from

Maybrook; the NE - 4 / L&HR 32 connection was discontinued about a year

after the BH - 4 / L&HR 30 connection). By mid-1962, BH-4 was shifted to

ex-Erie Buffalo line via Hornell, and eastern terminus was moved from

Hoboken to Croxton. Moved to Port Jervis route in 1964. Maybrook stop was

added to schedule in 1967. Possibly replaced by TC-2 or TC-4."

By this description it looks like the symbol was brought back from the dead?

Going through my photo archives, I have shots of this symbol in EL years

starting in July of 1975, and continuing through into Conrail, when I have

the last shot taken in 1977 of a "BH-4."

By the symbol, I assume this train ran Buffalo-Croxton? Can anyone provide

more details of this train during this 1975-1976 timeframe?

Thanks,