Re: (erielack) DL&W, Kearny Jct 1960s-1970s

Bill,

>Certainly agree that the movement of PRR freights from Harsimus Cove
>would normally take them over the lower-level P&H bridge across the
>Hackensack River. For this reason, I was startled to see some freight
t>rains operating over the parallel Jersey City Branch at night. These

There were freight and customers at Exchange Place such as Colgate, so I suspect those Jersey City-bound freights are what you saw.  I remain doubtful that the PRR would route freight through Track 5 at Journal Square bound for Harsimus Cove – because that would also send a GG1 through switches that were prohibited for such movements at Waldo.

It could be done through the trailing point crossovers there – pulling east of Waldo and backing across four tracks including the H&M to get to the P&H – those crossovers used to get from the P&H to/from the NJ Junction heading south to the LV, but I don’t think that would be a PRR move even in the middle of the night.

I was about to say the Penn Central might have tried that (they tried freight through Penn Station, you’ll recall), but then I remembered that with the exception of the crossovers to get from the P&H to the LV, the Jersey City Branch was out of service for PRR trains after the Aldene Plan went into effect

But Jersey City customers certainly had daily freight trains via the Jersey City Branch.

Cheers,
Jim