Re: (erielack) Grain in Boxcars

In 1979 when I was working on the Alliance Division of the BN grain was still moving in 40ft box cars and 40ft stock cars with plywood sides off the "High Line" that ran east out of Sterling, Colorado and some of the light rail branch lines south of McCook, Nebraska, the old Wymore Division of the CBQ. By the end of 1980 these shipments where gone. Once the High LIne got track up grades to run unit coal trains to Wallace, NE that was the end of the box car grain traffic. The larger 100 ton grain cars would now be loaded on the branch.

Bob Stafford

________________________________
 From: tommy meehan <tmeehan0421_@_gmail.com>
To: erielack <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:06 PM
Subject: (erielack) Grain in Boxcars

This subject -- hauling grain by boxcar -- came up
here the other day. As luck would have it, someone
recently sent me some TRAINS magazines, including
one which featured an issue-length report on rail
grain traffic.

Don Hofsommer wrote a very interesting article in
the issue about the history of the railroad movement
of grain.

Mr.Hofsommer wrote that quick-loading covered
hoppers (moving on multi-car rates) priced grain
by boxcar out of business by the late 1970s.

tommy meehan