(erielack) Unknown tunnel Portal

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-02-09-12

DSC01619.jpg (image/jpeg, 2048x1536 534434 bytes, BF: 5.89 ppb)

Bob, I believe this is the Erie Bergen Hill Tunnel, I've seen this photo before, it is dated Feb 10, 1906 and is in the Historic American Engineering Record NJ-22-7.

Here is a link, you'll have to search through it a bit to find it.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/habs_haer/

I found it by browsing by place (on the left side), going to "N" for New Jersey, clicking next a few times until New Jersey - Hudson - Jersey City was visible, click on that link, go to the third page to find the Erie Railroad Open Cut link, click on that, and then browse the 19 b&w photos.

I imagine I (and most other list members) could spend a few weeks browsing through all the photos you can find on this site.

I have attached a photo from just a few years ago, a "down on" shot of the east portal of the Erie Tunnel, showing the concrete construction which no doubt was put in around the time of the Arches construction, but also importantly showing the three different engraved plaques on the façade (unfortunately it does not clearly show the entire plaque).  I'm not sure but it looks to me like only the large panel listing the members of the Board of Directors is in the 1906 photo.

Interestingly, the Erie Bergen Tunnel, which was recently cleared for full height double stacks and used by 10 or so trains per day in 2012, was opened for service BEFORE Abraham Lincoln was president, in early 1861.  James Buchanan was still president until Lincoln's Inauguration in March, 1861.

Rich Wisneski