Re:RE: (erielack) PA MU Conversion

Responding to various comments regarding MU capability on PAs:

PAs did not have pneumatic MU (I hate to say "never", but in this case, I'll
stick my neck out, and say "never").  Some Baldwins did use pneumatics for
MU controls.

PAs could not have been purchased as "protect" power for the E-8s, with the
possible exception of 862 and 863.  The others, up through 861, were built
some two years prior to the purchase of the E-8s.  DeYoung states that they
were used as protect power.  However, they could not have been purchased for
this purpose, at least not specifically for covering the E-8s.  Did they
ever mingle with the F-3's on passenger?  I've never seen any evidence of
this.  Paul?

Early in the game, the PAs were indeed MU'd with EMD power, but this
required a special jumper cable.  It was a "Y" shape, with a single
connector at the EMD end, and dual connectors at the ALCO end.  I suspect
that they were re-wired to a more-standard single MU connector at the
trailing end, when they were equipped with the (single) nose MU connector
later.  Erie manuals give special instructions for operating the PAs and
E-8s in MU.

JR