From: Jim Guthrie [mailto:jguthrie_@_pipeline.com]
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 2:30 PM
To: EL Mail List
Subject: Re: (erielack) NJ/PA - Environmental Assessment for Lackawanna
Cutoff now ava...

Henry writes:

>I have never been a big fan of train rider welfare.

Highway engineers figure the subsidy from general taxation for motorists
runs around 44-46%; rail advocates figure it at 56-60%; the strong
libertarian anti-gummint, anti-tax folk figure it at 88%.

What makes automobile drivers so special that they receive substatial
subsidies, but you think rail riders don't?

BTW -- as to Jerome's screed, it has always been my understanding that #1-2
actually more than covered its marginal costs right up until the end, an
that EL management was actually surprised when the ICC examiner accepted
their petition for discontinuance. The N&W wanted all passenger service off
the books no matter what the circumstances. I realize full costs would nto
be covered but railroading has always been a business of marginal costs not
full costs anyway.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie
ELHS $1296