Re: (erielack) EMD Art [was Railway Age Article on C-424 delivery 1963]

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 tonyhorn1_@_comcast.net wrote:

> There were apparently two artists comissioned by EMD at different times.
> Bern Hill did more stylized posters which, according to Greg Palumbo on
> YouTube, were not really appreciated by EMD as he worked trains into the
> scenery, not concentrating on the engines to the degree that EMD desired.
> Tom Falwell was the other artist who did the pictures in the 1960s. These
> aare probably the ones you could be referring to as the prints did emphasize
> the locomotives. Googling the artists will lead youto more specific
> information on the paintings.

Some of Bern Hill's posters were absolutely spectacular! I'd love to have a
collection of them.

Antique's Roadshow did a piece on some of Bern Hill's original work, check
out the appraisal numbers!:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200704A52.html

Here's one that is typical Bern Hill:
http://www.artnet.fr/Artists/LotDetailPage.aspx?lot_id=081403E9FC0FBF5275C112FC39F3B3C5

This slideshow has some good Bern Hill posters;
http://dbtraveller.wordpress.com/2011/01/01/1950s-bern-hill-railroad-posters/

Some of Tom Fawell's work can be seen in this PDF from TRAINS (I didn't need
a login): http://trn.trains.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/7/6/1/ctr-b0308.ashx

Good stuff!

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services