Re: (erielack) Re: place names (was subject matter)

Len,

Technically, there was a station of sorts at Manunka Chunk, which consisted
of a covered platform adjacent to the tunnel for an across-the-platform
transfer from the Old Road to the Bel-Del and vice versa.  As you're
probably aware, Bel-Del trains had trackage rights to East Stroudsburg
(actually Gravel Place for servicing) into the 1950s, long after Manunka
Chunk's heyday.  But you're right, I don't recall a station building being
there either (in the old photos in front of the tunnel), but my memory must
be faulty since I can't imagine passengers waiting out there in the winter
cold.

Chuck

                      "Len VanderJagt"
                      <lvj911_@_worldnet.at
                      t.net>              To:     <erielack_@_lists.elhts.org>
                      Sent by:            cc:
                      erielack-owner_@_list Subject:
                      s.elhts.org                 (erielack) Re: place names (was subject matter)

                      01/25/2006 11:24 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "Len VanderJagt"

Most fun name on the DL&W.

Nominee: Manunka Chunk Junction

Can you say this name without smiling?  I can only imagine what folks
traveling the Old Road thought the conductor at called out.  I am unaware
of
a station ever having been there, however.  There was, of course, the
tower.
In the 70s, last time I was there, the embankment/fill for the Pennsy
connection was easily discernible, as was the location of the interlocking
tower.

On the Greenwood Lake, there was, of course, aquatic and when Ottey.  Or
want to.
This is what my speech recognition software hears when I say Pequannock and

Wanaque (wha-knockee)or Wah-Nah-Cue.

Or how about Annalomink? Also known as Gravel Place.  Maybe that is the
meaning of the Native American word.

Or Tunkhannock.  Maybe that is properly translated as 'creek where we could

use a humongous bridge.'

I enjoyed the NJT post just because it brought back memories of different
trainmen I knew, and how they would pronounce station names en route.
Humor tends to reflect perspective.  That is usually a good thing.  Keep
smiling.

Len